Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:53 pm 

Heya all -

Just moved to NE from CO (by way of houston.) Was at some point hard-chargin class Vish playboater but adopted squirt boating as my primary form not that long ago. Lots of experience - perhaps a little out of shape - definitely have no paddling partners in this area at this point. Lookin for some people to boat with a bit - especially in the more downriverish class 3 squirtable sort of arenas. I'm having -no- clue where to go. Going a little blind trying to get anything very useful/appropriate out of AWs new-england river -list website. I actually tried to have a flatwater session in the charles in boston the other day but got out in minutes when i realized how poluted the water was..

any takers or just solid beta? i know about the deerfeield and its releases. about anything else, please let me know. paddling a large chopped asylum - definitely seeking more elegant and mushy play than dt in this boat at this time. (really the boat is just a bit large chopped for me so i find destination dt to be alittle bit of a waste of time - time to go to GNC and get some of that make-me-fat-powder)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:37 pm 

What's up dude? Are you living in the Boston area?

~Slightly Stoopid

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm 

Yawp ;) nice place to live, been here about 8 months now, probably stayin a lot longer, close enough to the skiing and boating - just aside from the super obvious stuff ilke the deerfield or kennebec it also seems to present hardcore logistics of river access and flows around here, not to mention camping if necessary. not at all like out west ;)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:08 am 

I live about 30 minutes north of Boston. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

~Slightly Stoopid

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 am 

apparently t-ville is a great spot for squirts. surfing waves/holes and downtime.
there was/is the dt spot that you see in the metal flakes movie, and there is stuff upstream. they removed a dam last year that created new playspots and some deep and powerful eddy lines. i haven't been there since the dam was taken down but have heard there's been great dt and play had there this spring and summer so far. i'd be game for hitting it this july and already have another on board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:17 pm 

I tried giving ya a PM but having some issues. Anyway, my number is 2Zero7-Two39-233Seven. I just moved to Mass about a year ago. I don't know the spots very well except the Deerfield and CJ but I'm usually down for some exploration.

Ryan

~Slightly Stoopid

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:00 am 

Hey, Welcome to NE.

Probably your best bet it to post on the NPMB.com/3 and try to hook up with Squirt Boat Dave. I know he runs the West River in Vt and the Dryway in western Mass. There's also some guys that run the Kennebeck and suggest that you use the NPMB to try to find them. A guy named JD (bottomdweller) out of NY is thinking of doing a trip up to the Kenebeck in July or August.

If you already haven't, you might consider linking into the "Charc" folks on Facebook.

Lastly, these's a group of guys (me included) that frequent a place on the Deerfield River for mystery move sessions.

Though I've done some short down river runs, I'm not yet comfortable with doing any major river run.

B

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:20 pm 

we were at cj last weekend and the weekend before that.

you have an asylum which may or may not go down at cj depending on cut, surge, and approach. i used to have one and it used to drop there about 15 years go, but not drop like the shred did. that being said, i've run the dryway in a squirt once, years ago, and it was pretty fun. you could probably hook up with dave from albany, if you show up to the dryway on a saturday or sunday. however, if you're not used to running rivers in squirts i can assure you that you'll be on edge the whole way down as there are lots of rocks. you'd probably be best off following dave's lines.

there's a fellow in western mass that just got his first squirt, and there's also a fellow who just moved to nyc, both of them are ready to go paddle.

i think the tville gathering, if it happens, might be ideal for you and your asylum. there's downriver, surfing, and dt.

jd

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:28 pm 

Squirt resume:

I used to post every now and then on the text board, I had never really shied from playing the class IV mank in my XXX and eventually got ahold of a Drain, which I totally loved, Surfing squirts I find to be stupid but I maintain that planing concepts may yet play a role in squirt design. Didn't have great luck at Rincon but managed to sink it in some surprising spots in CO playparks, never got it downriver since I was a total broke-ass at the time and could never seem to garnish enough fundage to get the proper skirt. Then I lost the drain.

In the Asylum, I did top drop of the lower Ocoee on my way out to MA - admittadly ran a leftish sneek and kinda brushed the bank on the way by, I was a bit gripped at the end, and stopped my run there, as nobody knew me - I didn't know them, I was solo, and on the run and the level was dropping fast.

Got down to my neck at CB on the way by a couple times, I think the level was a bit low and yea, I think the Asylum didnt like it much also I completely lack any inkling of that kind of DT skill.

Mathers gorge was a complete ball - approaching some class IIish riffle on a right hand turn I saw a little pillow I only intented to stern-squirt into and ride the rapid in vert, and then I was suddenly underwater :) Good times.

I'm definitely looking forward to some Tville - How much water does that need anyway? Course' I expect to do lots of exploring. Once some competant compadre's are established at least. More worried about myself on this board at this time ;)

Thanks for all the feedback people -

I got a little excess time off from work to spend and I was just about to make a call or two and try to get a trip on for the timespan between July 5, July 6 or July 7 somewhere (anywhere,) in the AW definition of NE. (hurricane permitting, of course, shoot.)

Any takers may please call as well: (ate5-7,five4O,three-nine-87)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:23 am 

Yet another update - made an itinerary (of desperation,) for the next 4 days of attempting to hit some good looking downriver squirt across NY.

Saturday: Salmon/pulaski

Sunday: Lechtworth-Gorth

Monday: Middle-Moose

No solid putin times yet, I am trolling NMPB trying to make sure these runs are actually in right now, etc- I think in lieue of partners at least the park and play DT at Lechtworth is a definite.

Anyway - any interest, eight5-seven five40 three9eight7. I'll be on the road but checking the smartphone.

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion