[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Squirt Boating Message Board • View topic - Throwback Thursday
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post subject: Throwback Thursday
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:35 am 

Does anyone have one of these? This one has had about 2 feet taken off of it and now does duty as surf boat and occasional cruiser. What is it? Scroll down.

topviewres.jpg
topviewres.jpg [ 197.09 KiB | Viewed 15583 times ]

profileres.jpg
profileres.jpg [ 169.61 KiB | Viewed 15583 times ]

3quartertopres.jpg
3quartertopres.jpg [ 162.35 KiB | Viewed 15583 times ]

3quarterrearres.jpg
3quarterrearres.jpg [ 161.57 KiB | Viewed 15583 times ]

The first production squirtboat if I'm not mistaken. Arc.

Post subject: Re: Throwback Thursday
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:14 pm 

Do tell...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:23 pm 

Sure looks like an Arc.
It looks a lot more "surfy" than I remember. That sharp and low edge in the stern looks like it would be a handful on the river. That un-pigmented fiberglass is definitely consistent with the Arc's I ever saw though and surfing waves was a big reason to have a squirt boat at the time.
Someone see if they can get Jimmi to pop in and confirm.

This brings back memories for me for sure. Back when the real squirt boaters in the Southeast would hang out at Cats Pajamas and Double Trouble / Jump rock on the Ocoee in their Pro Jets I was just finishing High School and had an Arc. I longed for the lower volume of the real squirt boats and cut out a section of the deck and made this god awful fiberglass mess of it by draping resin saturated cloth over the area to get a dished out section. This was complimented by my toe bumps that consisted of dixie cups underneath that I put there to kind of mold around. It looked just like you would expect, pretty stupid and non functional. Ha Ha. Memories. Must have been around 1990 or so.

Edit: Johng, doing some quick math using the cinder blocks as scale looks about 9.3 ft. (so perhaps 11.3 originally) Does that sound about right? Put a tape measure on it just for science.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:52 pm 

8' 9 1/2" You were pretty close. It's definitely an Arc. I bought it new in '84 after my first one (heavy lay-up fiber-lastic they called it) was stolen off the top of my truck. a This one is a pretty light lay-up.

The initial chop was to remove a section from about the knee area through the stern. I surfed it like that for a couple of years, then decided to shorten the bow to make it surf choppy sloppy conditions better without pearling. First I cut the deck footprint to length and shape and then cut the hull into fingers to create the bow profile; stitched the fingers up with wire and seamed them together. It's pretty ugly up close because I didn't care about cleaning it up cosmetically, but it works pretty well.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:15 pm 

Yeah- the Arc- bit of history... I damaged both shoulders trying to cartwheel that thing. Conspicuously be footbumps too.....

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion