Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:53 pm 

What is the best squirt run in the US? We can look at it in terms of:

a) rapid size/quality
b) scenery
c) best all around play (splats etc)
d) number of epic mystery spots on the run
e) concentration of mysteries per mile
d) what else?

I'm going to throw this one out there as the winner for both d) and e): Hiwassee Dries

Whachugot JT??????

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:16 pm 

how about the ottawa!!

i've also heard lots of positives about:

main salmon and lochsa rivers, idaho
deschutes river, oregon

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:55 pm 

Must. Paddle. Hiwassee. Collect. All. The. Bubbles. Trying to clear the calendar. Y'all will be paddling it all winter right? The video I've seen of it looks just stunning. But the Upper G is hard to top.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:59 pm 

I want to say Fish Creek, NY, or at least it has great potential.

Not many people know about it. It's a hidden gem here in upstate NY. It's the best river surfing river ever and my all time favorite. No one have really squirt boated it but there are tons of epic seams from the look of water surface (and Ottawa sized fast waves).

The problem is - it doesn't run often, and when it's running I really want to take my plastic playboat down and surf my brains out. (and there are no other squirt boaters in the region that would want to go probe the river with me in squirt boats)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:26 pm 

Two favorites would have to be the Hiwassee dries and the upper g. Both are oh so good.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:20 pm 

I'm new to squirt boating and this forum, but I have a soft spot for the Ottawa. Warm water, long summer days, and the line up for smoothies is never long.

Looking forward to next summer.

garett

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:35 pm 

I'll make an attempt to not include the Upper G, which is the crown jewel, I'll offer up some of my other favorites. The static water levels of recreational releases help create the lure of the Upper G, allowing glass riders to really map out moves throughout the run. For what I'm looking for, running Pillow Rapid in a squirt boat is without a doubt one of the most fun things to do in kayak - period.

1.) Big South Fork of the Cumberland: Levels on the 2-3000 cfs range are awesome for the traditional run. It's like an easy version of the Gauley. Big rocks, surf everywhere, splats galore, and mush moves everywhere - although no big time session spots. At levels in the low to upper teens, the Narrows section is an awesome 2 mile jaunt. It offers everything, with a sink spot at the put-in that will test your nerves, every kind of mush move imaginable, a sweet fast glassy surf wave, splats everywhere, and a spot that seems to have all the ingredients that I (nor anyone I've ever been there with) have ever been able to unlock.

2.) Nolichucky Gorge: Anything over 3000 cfs is oh so good. My highest decent is 5500-6000 cfs (with heeps of runs in between 3-6000) and it is awesome! I can't wait to get the Jibbers on this run. It's possible to run it lower than 3000, but the bottom half is painful - 3000 is my personal low-level cut-off. Quarter Mile is legitimate! Surf, splats, mush moves - and Cliffside Rapid is the perfect lunch spot and arena offering HUGE travel rides with a massive recirculating elevator eddy to bring you up for another ride. Just typing this makes me realize it's been too long since I've traveled through Unaka on glass at an appropriate level.

3. Kawarau River - Meg's Run (NZ): One of my favorites that I hope y'all can sample sometime. It was my outlet for mysteries when in NZ. A cliffed out, big water, narrow gorge that has boils rolling off the sides the ENTIRE way down the run. It's literally impossible to hit every move on this section. No big-time session spots, but HUGE downriver moves everywhere. Not to mention the blue poweraide color water that is clean enough to drink straight from the river. Description posted below, if it doesn't get you imaginative juices flowing then I don't know what will. I'll post a link below for a glimpse into the magic.

"If boils and whirlies make your heart go pitter patter then get your teeth into this one. A fun run at any level with good surfing at regular intervals and locals have a regular Tuesday evening descent (6pm) throughout the summer months if you need to meet people or find a girlfriend/boyfriend.

At flows upto 200 cumecs there is a user friendly playhole at the put in. After the slalom site the whirlpools spiral down the gorge through a number of unnamed rapids. The only one of note is halfway down the run - a large hydraulic named Man Eater. I have seen proof, however, that this hydraulic is non gender specific. Around 170 cumecs it can only be run hard right. Between 170-250 it is huge crashing wave and can be surfed if you have what it takes. From here down enjoy the scenery and the endless seams to bury your tail in.

Take some time to reflect that this slackening water which now runs into a lake once flowed on to the famous Sargood's Weir. Sargood's Weir was one of the biggest, best rapids in the country. There were not many solid class V big rapids (200-500 cumecs) in the world. We had one of them. It exuded power, technicality and lack of emotion. Paradoxically it demanded of its suitors awe, fear, but most of all respect. It remained unpaddled until 1980 when Mick Hopkinson, then on holiday from the UK, paddling a fibreglass slalom boat successfully ran the rapids. Rob Lessor from the USA claimed the second descent in 1983. Then in 1984 Mick Hopkinson with partner in crime, Dirk Passchier, returned again. Dirk claimed the first 'Kiwi' descent of Sargood's. Through the late 1980s it became 'the rapid' for any aspiring hardperson and saw a number of descents. The intensity of use increased when the plans were published which showed that the lake from the Clyde Dam was going to flood the area to immediately above Sargood's Weir. People were keen to paddle the rapid before it died. When it finally drowned a slow and lingering death in 1992, Mick, who had paddled the rapid eighteen times, mourned its passing like a lost friend - indeed it was. May this murder of an international resource never be allowed to happen again.

To get to the put in: find the Roaring Meg Power Station on SH6. the put in is 800m towards Queenstown down a gravel road which descends a short distance to a large gravel carpark. A track leads to a gap in the gorge walls and the short clamber down to the river.

To get to the take out: from the power station drive about 4.5km down SH6 to a gravel road on the right cutting back down to a gravel parking area. There are some grey road marker posts numbered along this side of the road. The road is just after the 39 marker. If it is your first time on the run go down to the river so you can identify the exit point when you get there.
Class III+: >350 cumecs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAFTJVYr9hw

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:30 pm 

It can only BE the Upper G. I bet there are 100s of comparables but for east coast, you can't beat the reliability and all around good river scene. Totally agree with wassee dries assessment. Maybe only 10s of comparables and would sure like to find them and sink them deep as doo doo.

Need to get on that high water Noli gorge action being 45 minutes from the takeout..

Just looked at that tourist video link of NZ river. Would be happy to tour that seam. And Ottawa is in a foreign country.

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion