[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Squirt Boating Message Board • View topic - Bonding skirt w/ top
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post subject: Bonding skirt w/ top
 Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:36 pm 

Any advice for fusing skirt and shorty dry top ? Links to video instruction? Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Bonding skirt w/ top
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:50 pm 

I aim to do the same operation. Jim reminded me of a good NRS video about neck gaskets, I think he was talking about this one: . The only thing that give me pause in that video (at 4:30) is to wait 30 minutes after applying aquaseal to stick the two together? That seems like too long. Can anyone confirm?

You will probably need a bigger form, a small trashcan or bucket should work. It's going to be pretty intimidating to cut off the bottom of a $450 kokatat dry shorty!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:57 pm 

Ive done this a few times with great and not so great results... Best way to do it is to make sure you have a skirt that is a larger tunnel than fits your body, XL is best. Match that with a dry jacket that can be loose around the waist (design depending).. If their not loose you will likely not be able to squeeze them over your shoulders/chest. Use a blow up exersize ball (1.5ft diameter or so) and inflate it with a pump inside the skirt tunnel. Fit the drytop waist over that to overlap atleast an inch. Pull up the overlapping inch or so of drytop and Use aquaseal to spread an even and pencil sized bead all the way around the skirt without any gaps/breaks. Fold down the drytop waist over the aquaseal. Pump the ball to stretch the pair fully, making sure nothing slips apart. Lash a rope, NRS strap, rubber inner tube or something around the overlap/glued area to press together and create a strong bond. Walk away for 24hrs...........

You can substitute Neoprene cement for Aquaseal if the drytop waist is FULLY neoprene (cheaper, more flexible, available in dive shops and army surplus too). Aquaseal is much stronger. GOOP or Ssho Goo will fall apart in a couple seasons at best.....

You can also substitute an exsersize ball for a kitchen sized trash can, large garden pot, or something of a similar diameter.

You can use this same method, with smaller forms, for neck/wrist gaskets...... I'm hoping to bond my surfing wetsuit with some wrist gaskets and a skirt for the most minima, boat-dry, thermal play getup!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:07 pm 

thanks

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:47 pm 

So I executed a successful operation, gluing a brand new Snyder JR1 to a Kokatat Trinity Dry Shorty. Jim did an excellent job on the skirt, it installs easier than my original Mountain Surf and is almost as fast as a standard cockpit. It's the driest setup I've ever had in any boat. Beyond amazing.

While perfect for the Upper Gauley or other action filled downriver runs, it traps enough air to be unsuitable for sinking oriented destinations. Others mentioned being able to suck air out of the top, even the boat, which was motivation for performing the operation in the first place. When I suck it out, it comes back pretty quick. It's possible the new fabric will lose stiffness eventually and respond better to sucking.

I intend to install a drysuit exhaust valve and found this handy youtube video comparing the two major brands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_wIvTe1UQ

Anyone with experience with these scuba exhaust thingys? I think my coming footage will show other squirters with the billowing hunchback bulge of air and bet others may benefit from a well placed exhaust valve in their drytops.

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion