Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:51 pm 

So I just finished my upchop on the T-Bird I acquired some time ago. I seem to have gotten the cut just right but I noticed that there was just a tiny bit of water coming into the boat when I test floated it today. I am pretty certain my re-seam could have been better but I honestly thought that it would be water tight. Can anyone suggest a way to identify exactly where a leak is coming from? Can I just fill the boat up with water, suspend it and adjust the angle until I see it dripping out somewhere? I did notice that there are a number of spots on the hull where the sun shines through a little more brightly, should those be touched up as well?

What about winter time foot wear. I was wearing thick wool socks and still able to fit in the boat but once they got a little wet they just did not stay warm for long. Anyone have experience with a particular brand of neoprene sock/booty that fits in their boat?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:05 pm 

it's often the case that water comes in where the skirt tube and the dry top tunnel merge. it's hard to get a perfect seal there, which is why many squirtists eventually go the dry deck route. make sure you've got a decent rand on that skirt- one that fits the boat, as well.

regarding footwear, i've been happy with 3mm aramid socks. i think stolquist is making a version of it, but without full kevlar like mtn surf had, but still enough on them to grip the rocks which help keep your safety meetings safe

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:16 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I had Jim build me a brand new skirt for this boat that seems to be just right. I noticed the water coming in as soon as the boat was fully in the water but without the skirt and/or tunnel being submerged which made me think maybe the seams/hull were leaking.

Are these the socks? http://www.stohlquist.com/whitewater/fo ... assin.html

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:44 am 

Those look awesome, might have to get a pair. Nice to know they borrow Native American technology, what a strong feature. It would be nice to test fit them in your boat, fat socks can be more uncomfortable than thin ones. NRS neoprene cheapos could be fine and I remember someone adding glue to the bottoms for better traction.

For finding leaks, I would fill up the end and hold it up, emerging water should tell you where the problem is. Did the same thing recently to find fully penetrated seam damage on my warbird. i used 3m's DP125 and a blowgun attachment on an air compressor to force the epoxy deeper into the cracks. So far so good but sad the relatively new seam job is already busted.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:15 pm 

yup those are the same booties. they're the most similar to the ms aramid socks for the protection on the bottom and sides of feet but with more flex where the aramid isn't. and they're a little less sweaty for when the weather's warm. they're spot on for paddling a squirt.

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion