Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post subject: Worlds 2017 and Jimicup
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am 

Good morning everyone,

The grapevine has alluded to conversation in place on Facebook regarding the possiblity of rescheudling our beloved event to coincide with Jimicup. While I do not have the ability to participate in the banter, nor do I intend to debate, I would like to share my perspective understanding that many of the points may have been covered in the other forum. Please go to the cupboard, remove the shaker and gently grasp one grain of salt. Hold it dearly as you read.

It is my firm belief that 2017 should be considered a bi year for Mystery Squirt Worlds and that the event should continue in 2018 on an annual basis. One of my favorite aspects of the Worlds is the group think which goes into planning. While the decision ultimately rests in the hands of the champion, the location has historically been discussed among contenders, potential hosts, locals who understand flows, etc. Each year as the event draws near the suspense increases regarding levels. This has been the case for Smoothie, Swallow Cliff, Weasel, Cowbell and... Fascination Alley.

The nature of a river is dynamic. Always rising and falling, and when we're super lucky, we hit the seam at the perfectl level. The year that the event was held at the Leslie one of it's stongest attributes was called into question. A river known for unparalleded stability in releases May-August had 2x the recreational flow only days before the event. It dropped just in time but we were close to being skunked without a backup plan.

This year was no different. Will called many respected folks in the realm to help decide where it should be held. Jim shared 30 years of flow experience which led us all to beleive it would be in. We all understood risk, the roll of the dice. It was May in WV and rain is to be expected. The levels came up and we hit the bottle. Now we pay the piper, we wait to have Worlds in 2018, likely back to the West Coast as per the standard.

You may be thinkning: "He's only mad because he can't make it." You're right. I have been to every Mystery Worlds and I don't plan to miss one. I make it a priority every year to attend, no matter where or when it is. I'll be damned if I miss 2017, because I didn't. We met, as planned, and the river rose.

See you all in 2018 for the best event the world has ever known. I look forward to a blank name plate reading only 2017, Fascination Alley, Cheat River.

Affectionately,

TFAT

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:47 pm 

So you are saying, FA in 2018 because it will finally be in?

Let's no post in Facebook, tis a silly place.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:38 am 

I spoke with Jim and several of the past champs this morning: We are holding a vote. Those who were in attendance at Fascination Alley will recieve 1 vote. Past Champions (regardless of attendance) will recieve 2 votes per victory.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W7KJPBG

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion