Switch to full style
this is the link you are looking for to get to the main board index
Post a reply

Bow Weights

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Any suggestions for keeping a bit of weight in the bow in place? One of my boats is just a tad too high in the bow requiring a bit of weight. Everything I use seems to end up moving around and sliding back at some point in my sessions leaving the boat unbalanced. I don't really want to get into another chop right now as I barely even have enough time to paddle. I have already chopped this boat 3 times.
Suggestions?

Re: Bow Weights

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am

try using lead shot in the bow endpour. I have a boat with 5 lbs. of lead shot in the bow and it works.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 am

I never thought of that! Great idea! Thanks!

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Kirby E. did Jim's end-pour idea in both ends of his Ninja when he was looking for a symmetrical lower float. He was saying that it made a tangible difference in the feeling of stabilizing inertia having the weight energy out at the ends.
Ill see if I can get him to pop in and comment on that.

Here in the dirty south a sawed off dumbell weight end placed in a hollowed out place in the foot block is a popular option. Talk to the right person and they will tell you where they keep theirs stashed on the bank at park and play spots. :)

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:45 am

Fold up some old lead flashing and mush it into the bow in front of your foot block.
I've also started using an MSR dromedary bag full of water between my knees to weight my boat. It shifts the balance a little more forward but not too much.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 pm

cut a foam wedge that you can jam into the bow with an outstretched arm. once it's trimmed and stays in place, then cut it in half, hollow it out and fill with lead shot, granite slab trimmings, etc; seal it up and jam it back in place.
Post a reply