Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post subject: Urge
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:13 pm 

Took Eric's Urge to the Hiwassee(Thread the Needle)which was easy to get to and had a BLAST--sternsquirts,bow stalls,turns--a lot of me flailing around because I'm new but what a FUN boat!!It's grabby there--a couple of times I felt like it wanted to take me down--anyone ever done a mystery there? Thanks go out to Eric who designed this fine boat--what a fun weekend!

Post subject: Re: Urge
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 pm 

Your squirt intuition is on target. Thread the Needle on the Hiawassee is “the Sampler”
and is the other spot Kirk Williams pioneered as a downtime spot on the Hiawassee.

Just got back from a session with Jrod there. We decided to go there for the more park and play offering for today's trip. Absolutely fantastic. Kirk had been telling us we are messing up hiking the trail to Leslie all the time and we need to spend a little more time getting to know the spot. We've dabbled a bit this summer but today committed to a full trip to the spot with no regrets other than exhausted stomach muscles.
It is a difficult place to mystery move but so extremely rewarding when you do. It absolutely improves your mushing skills as well as your skills of reading when the timing is right for seams and pillows of water that are moving around.
Kirk's advice is to enter much lower in the eddy than you would think. Like straight across from the rock at the highest. Lower in the eddy is definitely better for figuring it out its secrets. There are so many ways to try to enter it though and so much potential there and that is great fun to explore.
I've had the best success charging quickly at a seam coming towards you in the eddy and then hooking left with an aggressive snap to flat (works high in the eddy too). Late in the session we figured out an entry using the trough of the the 2nd wave from the rock to initiate the sink. Man, when that entry goes it goes good.
Word on the street is that higher water is the real treat there. Folks have even sessioned the river left side of the island with good results at higher than normal flows.

Post subject: Re: Urge
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 am 

EZ, you guys give me a shout when it's in and are headed that way, would like to check it out.
BT

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion