Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post subject: Re: 2014 DT Worlds
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:39 pm 

Would 1:20 to 1:40 be an example of a perfectly tuned boat?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:39 pm 

I hate to be responsible for going off the original topic, but dang that is an excellent video. It made me feel like going there would feel like coming home.
In a world where GoPro's have become commonplace this is the best POV kayaking piece I have seen in a long while.
The music matched the pace and energy perfectly and the dog put it over the top. Looks like the poor fella took a few hits with the tips though :o

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:38 pm 

I got several trips to Swallow Cliffs and while it's a great time you really want to schedule for Cali creeking and Reno playpark action - it's not that long of a seam and the water is COLD! Amazing venue with clear water and a meadow and ample parking and pretty good sun on it even late day when I was there in May. The rides where I kept hitting the root-ball in the pepple shelf could be 15 + seconds long but much of the time you get pushed out (like Will) and end up traveling down from the squeeze pretty quick.
Some enter from river left and hit the seam going right to get some charc into the eddy but the careful can swirl down from river right and just nose into the sand shelf occasionally to maintain position. Might depend on levels but don't expect Smoothie or Halls or Leslie depth, power, and times or you might be disappointed. Stephen got some good long rides out of it - so it's possible - but you'll have to work for them by staying near the pebble shelf awhile.
C

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:48 pm 

I would be stoked to have it at any 20 second + spot on the west coast. I don't have any illusions of winning so just a nice deep spot with a cool arena is all i need. :) nearby playboat and creeking would be a nice plus too.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 pm 

Super stoked on the good response from the video I made. I'm glad that Clay has brought up a very valid point, in that the spot may not be as World-class as I thought. Maybe others can chime in from their experience as well, but I feel as though at the minimal flow of ~500, when charcing in from river right, spinning right, one can stay down for as long as thy feel safe! Of course, you dont get that super-deep, calm , weightless ride every time. But when you charge it hard,and hit it right, as Clay admits from watching Stephen, record-setting rides are possible here. I've heard Stephen claim 30 sec rides, and on my best day out, with suns out and guns out, I believe to have achieved a 30 second ride at ~550. I'm not trying to talk this spot up, just simply stating what I know as truth. Maybe it's just that 'perfectly tuned' ninja Paul made me :roll: but then again some of my best rides/shots are of me in that huge Bigfoot I used to sink... Cheers

P.S.- The dog wasn't injured in the making of the vid. He has hurt me worse than I've hurt him...

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion