[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Squirt Boating Message Board • View topic - Projet Cut Question
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post subject: Projet Cut Question
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:02 pm 

Hey guys,
I found a New Wave Projet on Craigslist, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the relationship between cut and ideal weight in these old boats? I'm planning on driving up to a few hours to get it tomorrow morning, and will test the boat on flat water to see how I fit, but i was wondering if anyone had any information that might save me the trip? I think the cut was 1/3" or something around that. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Projet Cut Question
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:00 pm 

Would this be the ProJet that was being discussed last week?
thread here:

The cut number you mentioned is one piece of the puzzle. A description from the seller about what he weighs and where the boat floats for him will tell you much more about its suitability for you though and would be essential info. before you took a multi-hour drive to go see it.

Way back in the day I think New Wave dealers had a chart that said such and such cut is for this weight of paddler. If the chart still existed it wouldn't be all that handy today as tastes in cuts have changed, and even back then hot squirters would tell you you gotta go "off the chart" for a good cut.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:44 pm 

It is a different boat, but the same design. This one is in Seattle. The boat is not in the possession of the original owner. What should I be looking for when I test the boat on flatwater? How high should i be floating? And I assume i will be able to move the seat position if the balance is a little bit off? Thanks for the quick response.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:02 pm 

Float depends on your comfort level and performance requirements. A big float will be good for surfing while a big chop will be good for sinking. Seam out of the water is a high float. Footbumps out of the water is a medium float. Whole boat under water is a sinker. Make sure your feet reach the footbumps, but don't go past.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:14 pm 

Yeah- all the old 'chop' references are totally unreliable- they basically referred to a parallel chop taken off the hull with the deck then cut to match. You have to go jungle rules and just see what works- but - like the previous poster said- all the bumps under means a good sinker- toes and knees out but deck under is workable- deck in the air is a surf/cruiser. You can always get it re-chopped- or do it yourself if the price is right. I think there's a few guys in the PNW with the skillz and toolz....

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:46 pm 

So, when you say jungle, would that be a serpentine cut taking different thicknesses from different parts of the cut?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:27 am 

Yeah- jungle rules is doing whatever works and all chops are serpentine chops anymore.

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion