[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Squirt Boating Message Board • View topic - Worlds location 2014 or Swallow cliff gathering
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:04 am 

Swallow Cliffs 2014
Will, Colin, and I are committed to have a kick as squirtboat get together at the upper Truckee spot "Swallow Cliffs" this May. We suggest Saturday, May 3rd, which is the week before the Reno River Fest as the date. This is 90% likely going to be a low water year but that is the highest flow weekend of the year for the Truckee and should have water within 85% of a confidence interval.

Swallow cliffs is great from 550-1600cfs, and is in this range 95% of the time during this weekend. At the low end, first time squirters have gotten 15sec rides in 30min. It is a convergence that allows for any kind of charc, no worries, about 8' deep, and very little travel. I average 20+ sec rides with 10-15' of travel. Both Stephen and I have broken 30 seconds a few times but only traveled 30-35'. I do not know the limit of this venue but I do know that unlike the Leslie (which was epic but not necessarily new user friendly) everyone who attends will get their fill of downtime guaranteed!!

Have the 2014 worlds here, or not. We will still be having an awesome squirt gathering in 2014. Should everyone in this community decide to have the 2014 mystery world championships at Swallow Cliffs, Will, Colin, and I promise it will be epic as we have the sponsors, the sierras (for creeking), Reno river festival (50,000 people + kayak festival), and the most friendly 30sec spot I've every sunk within 20 minutes of Reno.

Please give it a thought and let us vote as a community

Whether or not worlds is at Sparrow Cliffs we hope you will join us for the first squirtboat gathering at this amazing spot.

Sincerely
Noah

Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:44 pm 

Per CHARC on facebook:
May 3rd is a big wedding day for a squirtboater in TN as well as cheat fest. May 17th is the bubbler.
We shouldn't go any later than that this year due to the driest start to the water year ever in CA. So if the 17th doesn't work for at least a majority of people you might want to hold worlds somewhere else. Just let me know soon
Thanks
Noah

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:13 pm 

If anyone is interested in my $.02. I think SwallowFest should be scheduled whenever you guys can best predict the water level, same with every other gathering. Cheatfest, Bubblerfest, Rincon, Weaselfest, Lesliefest, and Jimicup are gatherings on squirters radar. I think the world's location needs to be not only based on the champs decision but also yearly hydrologic cycle. I think the worlds location decisions should not be made until a snowpack and runoff assessment can be made. Sorry to those that need to schedule way in advance. Pick a gathering and hope it aligns with worlds if you need to schedule way in advance. It's not an issue if the spot always goes like smoothie or it's a guaranteed release. Be nice to have a worlds at the alley or bermuda triangle, but it's impossible to predict in advance.

Stro

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:54 pm 

What about having it May 24th? I'm still being very optimistic about the snowpack this year. There is still alot of time for some serious dumpage in the sierras. Just an idea. Any Jib'ers have any opinions? Cheers- Will

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:05 pm 

The reason I was hoping to have it the week before the Reno River Fest (4th) or the week after was so that Stephen, Clay, Claire, and other freestyle boaters who do the tour would be able to attend. I'm pretty sure every weekend after the 17th is booked with freestyle events, plus the Reno River Fest is pretty fun if you have never attended so by bookending it with the Swallow Gathering it would kill lots of birds with one stone, so to speak.
That was the reasoning behind the dates, besides best hope for water.
Noah

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 am 

Did someone say something about the Alley???

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm 

Bringing this thread back to life. Any new thoughts on Worlds? Are we still doing Worlds in Reno or are we on hold for now? Let's get this pinned down soon!

Cheers,

Joel

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:09 am 

Has it not already been well established that the previous years champ chooses the next years location?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:29 am 

If this is not the best way to select the World's location then what is? Part of being the "Champ" is getting to choose the venue's location, even if we don't "all" like it.

With all that has been said on this topic most everyone would like the event as close to them as possible, correct?

Understandably.

It was in TN last so having it in TN again would seem a bit one sided but then again I live in Tennessee and I didn't win so who the hell am I to decide.

Winning the World's is a double edged sword it seems, can't make everyone happy no matter what venue is selected.

Maybe a 5 or 6 location rotation would be better but would be contradictory to the history of winning the "World's". Every year is seems this discussion is bought back up again, sadly?

Sink on.

Last edited by Voodoo Sinker on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:35 pm 

Board index » Squirt Boating Discussion